All notable changes to this package will be documented in this file.
The format is based on Keep a Changelog and this project adheres to Semantic Versioning.
[5.0.6] - 2023-05-13
- Fixed an issue where
UnityEditor.XR.Simulation.SimulationEditorUtilitiescould incorrectly throw a
NullReferenceExceptionwhen you opened the Editor if no XR Plug-in was enabled for the standalone build target.
- Fixed an issue for the XR Simulation background where the depth value would be incorrect for graphics APIs using non reversed depth buffer.
[5.0.5] - 2023-03-04
- Added ARSession.Reset support to relevant subsystems in XR Simulation.
- Fixed an issue for the XR Simulation camera where looking down or up would incorrectly affect the direction of movement in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where
SimulationCameraSubsystemin AR Foundation 5.0 does not support the TryAcquireLatestCpuImage API, and this property now correctly returns
false. If you need access to
TryAcquireLatestCpuImagein XR Simulation, you can upgrade to AR Foundation 5.1, currently in pre-release.
- Fixed an issue where
true. This API previously assigned invalid data to its out parameter, and now correctly throws a
NotSupportedExceptioninstead. If you need access to
TryAcquireLatestCpuImagein XR Simulation, you can upgrade to AR Foundation 5.1, currently in pre-release.
[5.0.4] - 2023-02-06
- Changed the Editor behavior of XR Simulation Runtime Settings to add input validation and standardize naming conventions for similar settings across simulation subsystem providers.
- Changed default values of XR Simulation Runtime Settings to improve plane detection performance. If your project already includes AR Foundation, you can accept the new default values by deleting the Asset at
Assets/XR/Resources/XRSimulationRuntimeSettings.assetand restarting the Editor.
- Removed a warning that was previously logged when your AR Foundation project build contained a scene with an
XROriginbut not an
ARCameraManager. There are valid reasons to set up a scene this way, such as building for OpenXR, so the warning was not helpful.
- Fixed an issue where AR content would not render in the Game view in XR Simulation when using XRCameraBackgroundRenderingMode.AfterOpaques.
- Fixed an issue where some XR Simulation subsystem providers could break if you destroyed and immediately re-instantiated the Simulation Session Subsystem.
[5.0.3] - 2022-11-01
- Added a custom Editor for the
SimulationEnvironmentcomponent that displays serializable
Vector3Euler angles rather than
- Downloads version 1.0.0 of simulation environments package rather than 1.0.0-pre.2.
- Fixed truncation of property labels for XR Simulation settings in Project Settings window.
- Fixed an issue where the shaders "Simulation/Standard Lit" and "Simulation/URP/Lit" needed to be manually re-imported after converting a project to URP.
- Simulation environment is now instantiated as a prefab instance in edit mode, so that changes made to the prefab are reflected in the XR Environment view.
- Fixed an issue in simulation where pausing and resuming the session would freeze the camera background.
- Fixed issue ARFB-125 in simulation where plane and pointcloud discovery would stop working after loading a new scene.
- Fixed various issues with the GameObject > XR menu:
- Fixed an issue where attempting to create an AR Debug Menu would fail.
- Fixed issues where the AR Default Plane and AR Default Face were created with a missing Material.
- Fixed issues where AR Session, AR Debug Menu, and AR default trackables were always created at the root of the scene hieararchy and did not become selected after creation. These menu items now use the currently selected GameObject in the scene as the parent.
- Fixed issues where some create operations could not be undone.
[5.0.2] - 2022-09-11
- Renamed AR Environment toolbar and view to XR Environment.
- Removed "experimental" from name of XR Simulation plugin in XR Management.
- Fixed handling of scale and offset of XR Origin in simulation.
- Fixed an issue where rendered frames comes out of order on iOS 16 when the app is built with multi-threaded rendering enabled in Unity.
- Fixed an issue where both
ARPointCloudManagercould attempt to copy invalid
NativeArray<T>s when using the raycast fallback API.
- Fixed an issue where
MaterialInspectorwould throw obsolete warnings in URP projects using Unity 2022 or later.
- Fixed an issue where the shaders "Simulation/Standard Lit" and "Simulation/URP/Lit" would throw errors if included in a build using the built-in render pipeline.
- Fixed an issue in
SimulationPointCloudSubsystemwhere the identifiers for points in a point cloud would not increment with new environment scans.
- Fixed an issue where the obsolete
ARSessionOrigin.cameraproperty shows a warning during the build.
- Fixed an issue where XR Simulation would hang on Apple Silicon Macs.
[5.0.0-pre.13] - 2022-06-28
- Removed error message for when XR Simulation Environments package sample is not found upon installing sample environments, and replaced it with a warning instructing how to import the sample.
- Use version 1.0.0-pre.2 of XR Simulation Environments package installed through the AR Environment toolbar. This version adds documentation and an explicit dependency on AR Foundation.
XRSupportedCameraBackgroundRenderingModeenums to the UnityEngine.XR.ARSubsystems namespace.
- Temporary scenes generated for XR Environment Simulation now have a uniquely generated hash appended to their names to prevent loading errors when restarting a simulated AR Session.
- Fixed an issue where
ARBackgroundRendererFeaturewould overwrite rendered geometry when rendering in
AfterOpaquesmode while Occlusion was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the DefaultSimulationEnvironment would not render correctly when using the Universal Render Pipeline.
- Fixed error in the AR Environment Overlay if the XR General Settings asset was not created before opening the overlay.
- Fixed binding error in the AR Environment Overlay when enabling/disabling multiple Plug-in Providers in XR Plug-in Management.
- Fixed issue in Simulation Raycast Subsystem where empty arrays were causing out of bounds exceptions.
- Fixed simulation material inspectors so values correctly update from the inspector to the material.
- Fixed hard crash from simulation mesh subsystem upon quickly entering and exiting play mode.
- Fixed simulated image tracking subsystem checking for occlusion of images from the camera.
- Fixed error loading AR Environment icon when AR Foundation is first added to a project.
- Fixed crash in
RenderSettingsthat was preventing the
SimulationRenderSettingsfrom being used in the AR Environment View in Unity 2022.1+.
- Fixed issues where AR Environment Overlay would not be restored or display correctly in a Scene View.
[5.0.0-pre.12] - 2022-05-19
- Added automatic refresh of AR environment list upon importing or deleting a prefab with the
- Added analytics to anonymously collect usage data of some AR Foundation features. These analytics are captured only in the Unity Editor and not added to the player builds. See Unity manual on Editor Analytics for more details.
- Added support for changing the Camera Background rendering order so that the background can be rendered either
AfterOpaquesby setting the
ARCameraManager.requestedRenderingModein the editor or at runtime and then checking
ARCameraManager.currentRenderingModeat runtime for the real rendering mode. See migration guide for more information.
- Added support for changing the Camera Background rendering order in simulation so that the background can be rendered either
AfterOpaquesby setting the
- Added support for the following subsystems in simulation.
- Point cloud subsystem
- Plane subsystem
- Image tracking subsystem
- Raycast subystem
- Mesh subsystem
- Camera subsystem
- Added AR Environment Toolbar Overlay for Scene view. The toolbar supports selecting the active Simulation environment, installing sample Simulation environments, refreshing the list of environments, creating a new environment, duplicating the active environment, and opening the active environment for editing.
- AR Environment Toolbar Overlay will change the Scene View to an AR Environment View, where you can preview the environment that will be used for Simulation.
- Added manager to enable X-Ray visualization of simulation environments and options to the Simulation Runtime Settings for enabling or disabling the X-Ray Visuals.
- Added a GameObject > XR > XR Origin (Mobile AR) menu item, giving users a one-click option to create an XR Origin which is fully configured for mobile AR.
SimulatedBoundedPlanecomponents to default environment prefab to support mesh and plane subsystems in simulation.
- Added support for
- Added public constructors for
- Added point cloud visualization to the ARDebugMenu.
SimulationPreferencesto user preferences in Edit > Preferences > XR Simulation.
- Project wide simulation parameters can be modified in Edit > Project Settings > XR Plug-in Management > XR Simulation.
- Moved menu item for refreshing the AR environment list from the AR Environment toolbar to the Assets menu.
ARBackgroundRendererFeaturecontains an abstract base class for custom render passes to use when defining an ARBackgroundRendererFeature custom pass and defines 2 custom render passes. A
BeforeOpaquespass and an
UnitySubsystemsManifest.jsonfrom Editor to Runtime since the integrated subsystems for simulation are in the Runtime assembly.
#if UNITY_EDITORguards from
ARBackgroundRendererFeatureso that the render feature can now be used in the editor.
- Changed render settings in default simulation environment so that it uses trilight ambient mode and brighter ambient colors.
- Updated simulation input subsystem to use
- The unused Post Processing settings field is now hidden in the inspector for
- Deprecated the depth subsystem abstraction,
XRDepthSubsystemDescriptor, in favor of
XRPointCloudSubsystemDescriptorrespectively. This is just a rename of the subsystem without any significant changes to the APIs. Unity's API Updater should automatically convert any deprecated depth subsystem API references to the point cloud subsystem APIs when the project is loaded into the Editor again. See migration guide for more details.
- Fixed error loading AR Environment view icon on first domain load.
- Fixed issue with simulated image tracking using the wrong vector for checking image direction.
- Fixed a bug when the vertex count in
SimulationMeshSubsystemcould overflow beyond the limit of 16-bit indexing for large simulation environments. The index format now always uses 32-bit indexing to avoid the issue.
MissingReferenceExceptionaccessing camera when stopping simulation session subsystem.
- Fixed error importing sample environments after downloading environments package through AR Environment toolbar.
- Fixed navigation keys working in simulation even when right mouse button wasn't pressed.
- Fixed an issue in simulation where the camera starts at the
XROrigininstead of the simulation environment's specified starting pose.
- Fixed issue 960 where
ARPointCloudManager.Appendcould incorrectly throw an
ArgumentException. For developers with custom implementations of
XRRaycastSubsystem.Providerwhich do not support raycasting with an arbitrary ray, fallback raycasts including hits from point clouds will now correctly return all values.
- Fixed issue 963 where
ARRaycastManager.RaycastFallbackwould sometimes return incomplete results. Developers with custom implementations of
XRRaycastSubsystem.Providerwhich do not support raycasting with an arbitrary ray will now see correct results from
ARRaycastManager.Raycast(Ray, TrackableType, Allocator).
- Fixed graphics library error caused when binding a Unity texture object to a native texture object when their mipmap settings do not match.
- Fixed an issue where recompiling scripts during Play Mode could cause memory leaks if
ARPointCloudManagerwere present in the scene. XR Simulation does not support script recompilation while playing, but now if a recompilation occurs in Play Mode, AR Foundation will not leak any memory.
[5.0.0-pre.9] - 2022-03-01
- Simulation loads an environment prefab from Simulation Settings.
- Added support for a new OcclusionPreferenceMode.NoOcclusion mode that, when set, disables occlusion rendering on the camera background when using ARCameraBackground and AROcclusionManager.
- Added simulation setting to turn the navigation off.
- Added anchor visualization to the ARDebugMenu.
- Changed the string "People Occlusion" to "Human Occlusion" in Feature so that it matches the documentation.
- Fixed issue 1392753 where occlusion texture would remain frozen instead of being cleared when the occlusion manager is disabled.
- Fixed issue where sliders would slide even when not
interactablein the ARDebugMenu.
[5.0.0-pre.8] - 2022-02-09
- Added a configuration menu to the ARDebugMenu that will help in visualizing the currently active Configuration for the session and other available configurations for the current device.
- Work in progress: AR Simulation in XR Plug-in Management; initial support for camera movement and simulation environment.
[5.0.0-pre.7] - 2021-12-10
- Fixed issue 1353859: During face tracking, each
ARFacemay create three additional GameObjects to represent the left eye, right eye, and fixation point. Previously, this would also incorrectly create three additional, superfluous GameObjects at the origin. These additional GameObjects are no longer created.
[5.0.0-pre.6] - 2021-11-17
ARSessionOriginis now deprecated. Use XROrigin from the XR Core Utilities package instead.
ARPoseDriveris now deprecated. Use TrackedPoseDriver from the Input System package instead.
[5.0.0-pre.5] - 2021-10-28
- Added ARDebugMenu that will help in visualizing the location of the XROrigin, the current FPS, tracking state, and some trackables. See the manual entry for AR Debug Menu for more information.
- Added support for new XRMeshSubsystem interface available in 2021.2, which allows providers to specify a separate transform for each mesh.
- The AR Subsystems package (
com.unity.xr.arsubsystems) has been combined with this package (
com.unity.xr.arfoundation). The AR Subsystems package has been deprecated, and you should not use or depend on it.
- The minimum Unity version for this package is now 2021.2.
- Deprecated the XRSubsystem. If you implement a custom subsystem by extending
XRSubsystemthen update it to use SubsystemWithProvider instead. This is the new Subsystem base class in Unity core. See the migration guide for details.
- Removed deprecated APIs:
UnityEditor.XR.ARSubsystems.InternalBridge- this was used to get a texture's original source dimensions. There is now a built-in function TextureImporter.GetSourceTextureWidthAndHeight that provides the same functionality.
- "AR Reference Point" APIs were deprecated and renamed to "AR Anchor" several releases ago. In this release, the following classes have been removed:
- Removed conditional dependency on the deprecated Lightweight Render Pipeline (LWRP) package. Any dependency on LWRP package should be replaced with URP package.
- ARMeshManager no longer throws
ArgumentNullExceptions ("Value cannot be null") when exiting play mode in the editor.
- Fixed issue 1346735: Removing the built-in particle system module results in a compilation error due to a hard dependency. Now the dependency is explicitly defined in the package which ensures that the built-in particle system module is enabled in the project.
- Fixed an issue where the built-in UI module and the UGUI package can be removed which results in a compilation error due to hard dependencies. Now the dependencies are explicitly defined in the package which ensures that the UI built-in module and the UGUI package are enabled in the project.
- Fixed issue 878 where
Provider.environmentDepthConfidenceCpuImageApiwhen acquiring the Environment Depth Confidence CPU Image. This did not affect the provider implementations of Google ARCore and Apple ARKit packages because these providers use singleton
XRCpuImage.Apifor all CPU image types. However, it could be an issue for a custom AR provider that uses different instances of
XRCpuImage.Apifor different CPU image types.
[4.2.0] - 2021-08-11
[4.2.0-pre.12] - 2021-07-08
- Added support new XRMeshSubsystem interface available in 2021.2, which allows providers to specify a separate transform for each mesh.
- Added methods to get the raw and smoothed depth images independently.
- Added a depthSensorSupported flag to the
XRCameraConfigurationto indicate whether or not a depth sensor is supported by the camera configuration.
- Fixed a
NullReferenceExceptionwhen accessing mesh information from an ARFace in the Editor. The exception was thrown from
[4.2.0-pre.10] - 2021-06-28
[4.2.0-pre.9] - 2021-05-27
[4.2.0-pre.8] - 2021-05-20
- Environment depth temporal smoothing now defaults to true, which is more consistent with the behavior prior to the introduction of this option.
[4.2.0-pre.7] - 2021-05-13
- Add support for temporal smoothing of the environment depth image. See AROcclusionManager.environmentDepthTemporalSmoothingRequested.
- Fixed incorrect validation in ARMeshManager which prevented its use in a prefab.
[4.2.0-pre.5] - 2021-04-07
- Fixed warning messages regarding cameraDepthTarget when using URP rendering issue.
- Fixed camera background doesn't work when stacking cameras with URP rendering issue.
- Fixed enabling depth texture causes the camera to render black issue.
- Fixed an issue which caused black reflections on iOS when using AREnvironmentProbeManager.
[4.2.0-pre.4] - 2021-03-19
- Clarified documentation for ARCameraManager.TryGetInstrincis.
[4.2.0-pre.3] - 2021-03-15
[4.2.0-pre.2] - 2021-03-03
- Added options to the ARPlaneMeshVisualizer component to control when MeshRenderer and LineRenderer components should be enabled. See
- Added description for occlusion on the main AR Foundation manual page, and edit the human segmentations description.
- The ARSession optionally sets the application's
targetFrameRate(see matchFrameRateRequested). In earlier versions, the original values were not restored when the ARSession was disabled. The behavior has changed so that the original values are restored when the ARSession disabled if the frame rate was set while the ARSession was enabled.
- Updated XR Plug-in Management dependency to 4.0.
- The minimum Unity version for this package is now 2020.3.
- Added missing icon to the AROcclusionManager.
- Replaced uses of PostProcessScene attribute with IProcessSceneWithReport callback mechanism. This prevents scene hashes from changing when adding the AR Foundation package.
MODULE_URP_10_OR_NEWERand updated use of obsolete
ScriptableRenderer.cameraDepthAPI to fix issues related to API upgrades that occur in builds with URP 10.0 and above
[4.1.3] - 2021-01-05
- The ARCameraBackground component now sets the camera's field of view. Because the
ARCameraBackgroundalready overrides the camera's projection matrix, this has no effect on ARFoundation. However, any code that reads the camera's fieldOfView property will now read the correct value.
- Minor documentation formatting fixes.
- Update the inspector for the ARSession component to include a help box describing the function of the Match Frame Rate option.
[4.1.1] - 2020-11-11
- Released package for Unity 2021.1
[4.1.0-preview.13] - 2020-11-09
- Remove fix made in 4.1.0-preview.10 for URP 10+ rendering. URP 10 now has a proper fix for this issue.
[4.1.0-preview.12] - 2020-11-02
- Trackable managers no longer attempt to query subsystems for trackable changes when the subsystems are stopped. This fixes the console error that will occur with MagicLeap:
InvalidOperationException: Can't call "GetChanges" without "Start"ing the anchor subsystem!
[4.1.0-preview.11] - 2020-10-22
- Added a new extension method ScheduleAddImageWithValidationJob for the MutableRuntimeReferenceImageLibrary which adds new reference images to a reference library only after validating that the new reference image is suitable for image tracking. The new method returns a new type AddReferenceImageJobState which you can use to determine whether the image was successfully added.
- Anchors: Previously, ARAnchors were added and removed by calling AddAnchor and RemoveAnchor, respectively. Now, you can add an anchor by simply adding an
ARAnchorcomponent to any GameObject, e.g., by calling AddComponent. The GameObject may exist anywhere in your scene hierarchy; it need not be under the ARSessionOrigin. Similarly, remove an anchor by destroying the
ARAnchorcomponent (or its GameObject). See the manual entry for anchors for more details.
- Environment Probes: Previously, environment probes were added and removed by calling AddEnvironmentProbe and RemoveEnvironmentProbe, respectively. Now, you can add an anchor by simply adding an
AREnvironmentProbecomponent to any GameObject, e.g., by calling AddComponent. The GameObject may exist anywhere in your scene hierarchy; it need not be under the ARSessionOrigin. Similarly, remove an environment probe by destroying the
AREnvironmentProbecomponent (or its GameObject). See the manual entry for environment probes for more details.
- Fixed in an incorrect
Debug.Assertregarding a texture descriptor changing from
Noneto something other than
None. A typical error message (only seen in Development Builds) was
Texture descriptor dimension should not change from None to Tex2D.
- Fix a null reference exception in the occlusion manager when setting the environment depth mode or occlusion preference mode when the device does not support the occlusion subsystem.
[4.1.0-preview.10] - 2020-10-12
- Changed internal uses of Debug.Assert to a custom version that does not allocate the message string unless the assert fails. This reduces per-frame GC allocations when
UNITY_ASSERTIONSare enabled (typically in development builds).
- Update XR Plug-in Management to 3.2.16.
- Minor documentation fixes.
- Fix an issue with background rendering with URP 10+ rendering with a Final Blit pass.
[4.1.0-preview.9] - 2020-09-25
- Added new sections in the manual documentation for image tracking and anchors.
- Added a trackable property to the ARRaycastHit which will refer to the ARTrackable hit by the raycast, or
nullif no trackable was hit.
- Fix several documentation links.
- Fix AROcclusionManager's handling of depth when non-unit scale is applied.
[4.1.0-preview.7] - 2020-08-26
- Added a warning when an
ARSessionis used in a scene (or scenes), but no providers are selected in XR Plug-in Management for the current build platform.
- Updated "Copying the Camera Texture to a Render Texture when accessing the camera image on the GPU" documentation to use a 'Command Buffer' instead of a
Graphics.Blit()to fix an issue where blit would not work on certain devices.
- Fixed a
NullReferenceExceptionwhich would happen if you invoked
ARSession.CheckAvailability()when the ARSession's GameObject was disabled and had never been enabled.
[4.1.0-preview.6] - 2020-07-27
[4.1.0-preview.5] - 2020-07-16
- Updated "Configuring the AR Camera background using a Scriptable Render Pipeline" documentation for further clarity on setup steps.
- Added documentation for the
- The choice of whether to use the legacy or Universal render pipeline was based on an incorrect GraphicsSettings parameter (
currentRenderPipeline). This meant that certain quality settings may not have been respected properly.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible for the ARSession component to set the Application.targetFrameRate even when
[4.1.0-preview.3] - 2020-07-09
- Update XR Plug-in Management to 3.2.13.
- Minor documentation fixes.
[4.1.0-preview.2] - 2020-06-24
- Updating the documentation for new package versions.
[4.1.0-preview.1] - 2020-06-23
- Add support for environment depth through the AROcclusionManager/XROcclusionSubsystem.
- Minimum Unity version for this package is now 2019.4.
[4.0.2] - 2020-05-29
XRCameraSubsystem.OnBeforeBackgroundRenderimmediately before rendering the camera background.
- Added a helper utility,
LoaderUtility, for interacting with
XR Managementand added a section to the migration guide explaining how to use it.
XRCpuImagealong with APIs that used this type (e.g.,
ARCameraManager.TryGetLatestImage). See the migration guide for more details.
ARMeshManagerno longer creates and destroys an
XRMeshSubsystem. Instead, it relies on XR Management to create and destroy the subsystem. The
ARMeshManagerstill starts and stops it.
- Fixed a bug which could throw an
ArgumentNullException, typically on application shutdown:
ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: _unity_self
[4.0.0-preview.3] - 2020-05-04
- Add support for tracked raycasts. A tracked raycast is repeated and updated automatically. See ARRaycastManager.AddRaycast.
ARCameraFrameReceivedEventArgsnow provides a camera grain texture along with an associated intensity value which can be used to add image noise characteristics to virtual content. The usage of these properties may vary by platform, so please consult the documentation of the specific provider plug-in when using this feature.
- Updating dependency on com.unity.xr.management to 3.2.10.
- Fixed all broken or missing scripting API documentation.
[4.0.0-preview.1] - 2020-02-26
- Improved performance of face mesh updates by using the new mesh APIs in 2019.3 which accept NativeArrays. This avoids a copy of the
- See the Migration Guide.
- AR Foundation now relies on XR Management to initialize subsystems. If your project's configuration does not enable an XR Loader appropriate for your target platforms then the underlying subsystems AR Foundation depends on will not be available. Previously AR Foundation would attempt to initialize subsystems itself in the absence of a valid XR Management configuration.
[3.1.3] - 2020-04-13
- The documentation for the
ARFacescripting API for accessing left eye, right eye, and fixation point incorrectly referred to a nullable value type, when in fact the returned type is a Transform. This has been fixed.
- Eliminating shader compiler errors that started with Unity 2020.1 and that originate from the Apple ARKit package.
[3.1.0-preview.8] - 2020-03-12
[3.1.0-preview.7] - 2020-03-03
- Patched a memory leak by destroying the camera textures when the camera manager is disabled.
[3.1.0-preview.6] - 2020-01-21
- Fixed memory leak when accessing the
humanDepthTextureproperties of the
[3.1.0-preview.4] - 2020-01-16
- Updated documentation.
[3.1.0-preview.3] - 2019-12-20
- Added support for HDR light estimation to ARCameraManager.
- Added script updater support for facilitating the rename of Reference Points to Anchors
MonoBehaviours to point to the 3.1 version of the documentation.
ARAnchorManager.m_AnchorPrefabfield to preserve any prefab specified when it was the
- Fixed issue that broke the camera background rendering when URP post-processing was enabled on the AR camera.
[3.1.0-preview.1] - 2019-11-21
- Added the new AROcclusionManager with human segmentation functionality (on some iOS hardware).
[3.0.1] - 2019-11-18
- Renaming the concept of
Anchors. The Unity script updater should convert any references to
ARReferencePointsChangedEventArgsthe next time the project is loaded into the Editor.
- Removed references to LWRP from the documentation.
[3.0.0-preview.6] - 2019-11-14
The following virtual methods on the
ARCameraBackgroundhave been removed:
CommandBufferand added the command buffer to the camera. If you had overriden this method previously, you can override the
legacyCameraEventsproperty to specify the camera events which use the CommandBuffer, and
ConfigureLegacyCommandBuffer(CommandBuffer)to configure the command buffer. There is no need to override
TeardownLegacyRenderPipelineBackgroundRenderinganymore because the
CameraEvents the buffer was added to so it can remove them later.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the background camera texture to stop functioning correctly on certain devices running OpenGLES3.
- Previously, when using LWRP or UniversalRP, the requested culling mode was ignored. This resulted in an incorrect culling mode when using the front facing camera with ARCore (e.g., during face detection). This has been fixed.
[3.0.0-preview.4] - 2019-10-22
- Querying the
focusModewill return the actual camera focus value rather than a cached value.
ARPlanewhich may return contextual information about planes. See PlaneClassification for the list of all possible classifications.
supportsClassificationproperty to XRPlaneSubsystemDescriptor.
- Add getter for the current AR frame rate to the
ARFace.supportedFaceCountwould throw if face tracking was not supported. Now it returns 0.
- Fixed an issue with the
ARSessionOriginwhich could produce incorrect behavior with non-identity transforms.
ARPlane.centerwas computed incorrectly (though the result was close to the correct answer). This has been fixed.
[3.0.0-preview.3] - 2019-09-26
- If "match frame rate" is enabled, the
ARSessionnow checks for changes to the recommended frame rate each frame.
- Some properties on
NativeArrays to nullable
NativeSlices. See the migration guide for more details.
ARFaceManager.supportedproperty has been removed. If face tracking is not supported, the manager's subsystem will be null. This was done for consistency as no other manager has this property. If a manager's subsystem is null after enabling the manager, that generally means the subsystem is not supported.
- Fixed a typo in Face Tracking documentation which incorrectly referred to planes instead of faces. Also updated the screenshot of the ARFaceManager to reflect the "Maximum Face Count" field.
[3.0.0-preview.2] - 2019-09-05
- Converted dependency on Legacy Input Helpers package to optional dependency. ARFoundation will continue to support the use of TrackedPoseDriver and the
UnityEngine.SpatialTrackingnamespace but there is no longer a dependency on that package. ARFoundation can instead use the
ARTrackedPoseDriverself-contained component to surface the device's pose.
- Fix issue where having the camera clearFlags property set to Skybox would break background rendering.
- Fix issue where screen would flash green before the first camera frame was received.
[3.0.0-preview.1] - 2019-08-21
- Added support for eye tracking.
- Added support for XRParticipantSubsystem, which can track other users in a multi-user collaborative session.
- Added support for exposure duration
- Added support for exposure offset
- Add support for Lightweight Render Pipeline and Universal Render Pipeline.
- Add support for height scale estimatation for the 3D human body subsystem.
- Update the Legacy Input Helpers package to 1.3.7. This has no impact on existing functionality in ARFoundation, but should help with compatibility when using other packages.
- Previously, the
ARTrackedObjectManagerwould throw an exception if enabled without a valid reference library. These managers no longer throw; now, they disable themselves. This makes it possible to add one of these managers at runtime, since Unity will automatically invoke
OnEnablebefore you have a chance to set a valid reference library. If you create one of these managers at runtime, you will need to set a valid reference library and then re-enable it.
- Fixed the issue where native providers were not being reinstantiated after being destroyed when loading/reloading a new scene.
[2.2.0-preview.3] - 2019-07-16
- Added support for XR Management.
- Add support for
- Add an option to synchronize the Unity frame with the AR session's update. See
- Add an
ARMeshManagerto interface with the
XRMeshSubsystem. This is useful for XR Plug-ins that can generate meshes at runtime.
- Previously, a trackable manager's changed event (e.g.,
ARPlaneSubsystem.planesChanged) was invoked every frame even if nothing had changed. Now, it is only invoked on frames when a change has occurred.
[2.2.0-preview.2] - 2019-06-05
- Adding support for ARKit 3 functionality: Human pose estimation, human segmentation images, session collaboration, multiple face tracking, and tracking a face (with front camera) while in world tracking (with rear camera).
[2.1.0-preview.4] - 2019-06-03
- Added a convenience method
ARTrackableManager.SetTrackablesActive(bool)which will call
SetActiveon each trackable's
GameObject. This is useful, for example, to disable all
ARPlanes after disabling the
- Fix NativeArray handling when
ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKSis set. This fixes an issue when running ARFoundation in the Editor. This is not set in the Player, so it is not an issue when running on device.
[2.1.0-preview.3] - 2019-05-22
- Fix documentation links.
[2.1.0-preview.2] - 2019-05-07
- Add support for image tracking (
- Add support for environment probes (
- Add support for face tracking (
- Add support for object tracking (
[2.0.1] - 2019-03-05
- See the Migration Guide.
- Add dependency on Legacy Input Helpers, which were moved from Unity to a package in 2019.1.
[1.0.0-preview.22] - 2018-12-13
- Fix package dependency
[1.0.0-preview.21] - 2018-12-13
- Added Face Tracking support:
ARFaceMeshVisualizerand related scripts. See documentation for usage.
- Plane detection modes: Add ability to selectively enable detection for horizontal, vertical, or both types of planes. The
ARPlaneManagerincludes a new setting, which defaults to both.
- Add support for setting the camera focus mode. Added a new component,
ARCameraOptions, which lets you set the focus mode.
- The light estimation option, which was previously on the
ARSessioncomponent, has been moved to the new
[1.0.0-preview.20] - 2018-11-06
- Support reference points reported without a corresponding
TryAddReferencePointcall. This handles reference points that are added by some other means, e.g., loaded from a serialized session.
[1.0.0-preview.19] - 2018-10-10
- Added support for
XRCameraExtensionsAPI to get the raw camera image data on the CPU. See the manual documentation for more information.
[1.0.0-preview.18] - 2018-09-13
ARPlane.normalto get the
ARPlane's normal in world space.
- Added LWRP support by allowing
ARCameraBackgroundto use a background renderer that overrides the default functionality. This works in conjunction with some LWRPSupport files (see arfoundation-samples) that will live in your LWRP project.
ARReferencePointManagerall instantiate either prefabs that you specify or
GameObjects with at least an
ARReferencePoint, respectively, on them. The instantiated
GameObject's layer was set to match the
ARSessionOrigin, overwriting the layer specified in the prefab. This has been changed so that if a prefab is specified, no changes to the layer are made. If no prefab is specified, then a new
GameObjectis created, and its layer will match that of the
ARPlaneMeshVisualizerdid not disable its visible components (
LineRenderer) when disabled. This has been fixed.
[1.0.0-preview.17] - 2018-08-02
FormerlySerializedAsattribute to serialized field changes to
[1.0.0-preview.16] - 2018-07-26
- Removed static constructor from
ARSubsystemManager. This allows access to the manager without forcing the creation of the subsystems, making the initialization more flexible.
- The API for overriding the material has been refactored. Previously, a custom material could be set with the
ARCameraBackground.materialsetter, but this might be overwritten later if the option to override was disabled.
- New member:
- The following properties are now private:
materialsetter (getter is still public)
- Use the
ARCameraBackground.materialgetter to get the currently active material.
ARPlane.vertexChangedThresholdis no longer allowed to be negative.
ARCameraBackgroundcomponent did not reset the projection matrix on disable, leading to stretching or other distortion. This has been fixed.
ARCameraBackgroundcomponent did not properly handle an overriden material. This has been fixed (see API Changes below).
ARPlaneMeshGeneratorswas meant to generate a triangle fan about the center of the plane. However, indices were instead generated as a fan about one of the bounary points. The visual result is similar, but can lead to long thin triangles. This has been fixed to use the plane's center point as intended.
- Update for compatibility with 2018.3
- If the
LineRendereron it, then it will be scaled to match the
ARPlane's scale, making the visual width invariant under differing
- When the
ARPointCloudManagerinstantiated a point cloud prefab, it did not change its transform. If it was not identity, then feature points would appear in unexpected places. It now instantiates the point cloud prefab with identity transform.
- The menu item "GameObject > XR > AR Default Point Cloud" created a
GameObjectwhich used a particle system whose "Scaling Mode" was set to "Local". If used as the
ARPointCloudManager's point cloud prefab, this would produce odd results when the
ARSessionOriginwas scaled. The correct setting is "Hierarchy", and the utility now creates a particle system with the correct setting.
[1.0.0-preview.14] - 2018-07-17
ARSession.Reset()to destroy the current AR Session and establish a new one. This destroys all trackables, such as planes.
- Added an
ARReferencePointManagersubscribe to this event, and they remove their trackables when the
- Fixed a bug in the
ARCameraBackgroundwhich would not render the camera texture properly if the
ARSessionhad been destroyed and then recreated or if the
ARCameraBackgroundhad been disabled and then re-enabled.
ARSubsystemManager.systemState's setter was not private, allowing user code to change the system state. The setter is now private.
ARPlane.trackingStatereturned a cached value, which was incorrect if the
ARSessionwas no longer active.
[1.0.0-preview.13] - 2018-07-03
- Added a getter on the
ARPointCloudManagerfor the instantiated
- Added UVs to the
Meshgenerated by the
- Added a
meshUpdatedevent to the
ARPlaneMeshVisualizer, which lets you customize the generated
- Added AR Icons.
- Refactored out plane mesh generation functionality into a new static class
- Fixed a bug where point clouds did not stop rendering when disabled.
[1.0.0-preview.12] - 2018-06-14
- Add color correction value to
- Add availability and AR install support
- Improve lifecycle reporting: remove public members
ARSubsystemManager.trackingState. Combine with
ARSubsystemManager.systemStateand the public event
- Docs improvements
ParticleSystemto the top of the
- Update documentation: ARSession image and written description.
- Change dependency to
- Significant rework to startup lifecycle & asynchronous availability check
- Rename ARUtilities to ARFoundation
- This package is now called
ARSessionOriginno longer requires its
Camerato be a child of itself.
- Remove "timeout" from AR Session
ARPointCloudParticleVisualizeras these were deemed sample content.
- Removed setup wizard.
* Apple and ARKit are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions.