What's new in Unity Reflect 1.3?
In the September 2020 release of Reflect, we are taking Cloud Sync out of beta and introducing a beta version of the future Reflect Viewer, which completely redesigns the user experience of the Reflect application, focusing on navigation and fluidity.
The new UI makes it easier for new users to jump right into Reflect and intuitively navigate a 3D model, and the new streaming technology and data pipeline API acts as the backbone for the future of Reflect.
With this release, Reflect doubles down on its non-developer personas, enabling non-technical users to easily pick it up. By enabling larger models, Reflect can now aggregate even more data together onto multiple platforms at the same time, making it perfect for coordination meetings.
Cloud Sync for Reflect is now out of beta and ready! Cloud Sync for Reflect makes it easier than ever before to share and review projects across mobile and desktop.
We are introducing a completely redesigned viewer for Windows. It features a new user interface and navigation system, making it even easier to explore your models.
- BIM Object Selection: Individual scene objects will now be selectable. When selected, their BIM and other metadata will be displayed
- Navigation: Navigation has been reworked to be smoother and more responsive in all contexts, including with large models.
- Variable fly mode: Fly mode speed will gradually increase as you navigate, to allows you to over large distances faster.
- Sun Study: Sun position sliders and widgets have been reworked to be more accessible.
- BIM Filtering: More filtering options have been added with a drop-down menu.
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality: Virtual Reality (VR) functionality has been simplified to be friendlier to new users. Support for Oculus Rift has been added. Unfortunately, we had to temporarily remove support for HTC Vive, but will be re-adding it shortly. (Oculus Quest will work in tethered mode or using a virtual desktop.)
- Model streaming: The new Viewer includes a method for streaming models progressively based object priority. Objects are initially represented as transparent boxes and are very quickly replaced as they are downloaded.
Models are up to 50% faster to open and will start streaming in up to 95% faster, rather than waiting for the entire model to download.
The Reflect Server no longer needs to create a project to make it accessible to other computers on the Network. This makes it much more practical to have local Reflect servers.
New Viewer API
The new Viewer’s source code is now available on GitHub. This formalizes the way the viewer is implemented and makes it easier to extend and maintain the Viewer over time.
- The Viewer project now uses URP, the new input system, & XR interactions.
- The new data pipeline API allows for more control over how data is downloaded and played in the Reflect Viewer. Several samples are available to highlight common use cases.
To use the new Viewer API, make a copy or fork the GitHub repository. This repo contains a Unity Project and an embedded package, which makes up the entirety of the Viewer. The Unity Reflect Package is still available in the Editor through the Package Manager for those who wish to stay on the current version of the Viewer or download models directly in the Editor.
- (AEC-845) Fixed an issue where Viewer would occasionally fail to log in.
- (AEC-541) Fixed an issue where the sync would stop in the Editor.
- (AEC-503) Fixed some meshes missing from Rhino exports.
- (AEC-1150) Made Navisworks notifications less verbose.
- (AEC-1140) Reflect no longer notifies the user for each sync when sync is active; only the first sync triggers a notification.
- (AEC-866) Fixed an issue where the Viewer wasn’t working on VPNs.
- (AEC-862) Fixed an issue where the Dashboard would fail to delete a project.
- (AEC-769) The SunStudy panel no longer drags the scene behind it on mobile. (Beta Viewer only)
- (AEC-702) Made navigation smoother when the frame rate fluctuates.
- (AEC-676) Revit files linked more than once now export properly.
- (AEC-493) Initial Camera position now centered on model. (Beta Viewer only)
- (AEC-361) Pan camera control no longer bounces back to the center. (Beta Viewer only)
- (AEC-245) Export button caption now says Start Sync when starting a sync session.
- Navisworks Metadata in the Editor sometimes combine both imperial and metric measurements.
- (AEC-1170) Changing Revit elements while the live sync is active can sometimes cause issues with the blue preview boxes in the new Viewer beta.
- (AEC-1176) Models with a very large coordinate range won’t always open at the right place. Sometimes, the model will be very far away and appear to not load. In these cases, try and reduce the coordinate range and center the model. See this forum post for details on how to get around this issue.