All notable changes to this package will be documented in this file.
[4.0.9] - 2020-10-06
- Fix several documentation links and clarify language.
- Fix AROcclusionManager's handling of depth when non-unit scale is applied.
[4.0.8] - 2020-08-24
- Updated "Copying the Camera Texture to a Render Texture when accessing the camera image on the GPU" documentation to use a 'Command Buffer' instead of a '[Graphics.Blit()](xref:uid: UnityEngine.Graphics.Blit(UnityEngine.Texture,UnityEngine.RenderTexture))' to fix an issue where blit would not work on certain devices.
- Fixed a
NullReferenceExceptionwhich would happen if you invoked
ARSession.CheckAvailability()when the ARSession's GameObject was disabled and had never been enabled.
[4.0.6] - 2020-07-27
- The choice of whether to use the legacy or Universal render pipeline was based on an incorrect GraphicsSettings parameter (
currentRenderPipeline). This meant that certain quality settings may not have been respected properly.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible for the ARSession component to set the Application.targetFrameRate even when
- Updated "Configuring the AR Camera background using a Scriptable Render Pipeline" documentation for further clarity on setup steps.
- Update XR Plug-in Management to 3.2.13.
[4.0.2] - 2020-05-29
XRCameraSubsystem.OnBeforeBackgroundRenderimmediately before rendering the camera background.
- Added a helper utility,
LoaderUtility, for interacting with
XR Managementand added a section to the migration guide explaining how to use it.
- Updating dependency on AR Subsystyems to 4.0.1.
XRCpuImagealong with APIs that used this type (e.g.,
ARCameraManager.TryGetLatestImage). See the migration guide for more details.
ARMeshManagerno longer creates and destroys an
XRMeshSubsystem. Instead, it relies on XR Management to create and destroy the subsystem. The
ARMeshManagerstill starts and stops it.
- Fixed a bug which could throw an
ArgumentNullException, typically on application shutdown:
ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: _unity_self
[4.0.0-preview.3] - 2020-05-04
- Add support for tracked raycasts. A tracked raycast is repeated and updated automatically. See ARRaycastManager.AddRaycast.
ARCameraFrameReceivedEventArgsnow provides a camera grain texture along with an associated intensity value which can be used to add image noise characteristics to virtual content. The usage of these properties may vary by platform, so please consult the documentation of the specific provider plugin when using this feature.
- Fixed all broken or missing scripting API documentation.
- Updating dependency on com.unity.xr.management to 3.2.10.
[4.0.0-preview.1] - 2020-02-26
- Improved performance of face mesh updates by using the new mesh APIs in 2019.3 which accept NativeArrays. This avoids a copy of the
- See the Migration Guide.
- AR Foundation now relies on XR Management to initialize subsystems. If your project's configuration does not enable an XR Loader appropriate for your target platforms then the underlying subsystems AR Foundation depends on will not be available. Previously AR Foundation would attempt to initialize subsystems itself in the absence of a valid XR Management configuration.
[3.1.3] - 2020-04-13
- The documentation for the
ARFacescripting API for accessing left eye, right eye, and fixation point incorrectly referred to a nullable value type, when in fact the returned type is a Transform. This has been fixed.
- Eliminating shader compiler errors that started with Unity 2020.1 and that originate from the ARKit package.
[3.1.0-preview.8] - 2020-03-12
[3.1.0-preview.7] - 2020-03-03
- Patched a memory leak by destroying the camera textures when the camera manager is disabled.
[3.1.0-preview.6] - 2020-01-21
- Fixed memory leak when accessing the
humanDepthTextureproperties of the
[3.1.0-preview.4] - 2020-01-16
- Updated documentation.
[3.1.0-preview.3] - 2019-12-20
MonoBehaviours to point to the 3.1 version of the documentation.
ARAnchorManager.m_AnchorPrefabfield to preserve any prefab specified when it was the
- Fixed issue that broke the camera background rendering when URP post-processing was enabled on the AR camera.
- Added support for HDR light estimation to ARCameraManager.
- Added script updater support for facilitating the rename of Reference Points to Anchors
[3.1.0-preview.1] - 2019-11-21
- Added the new AROcclusionManager with human segmentation functionality (on some iOS hardware).
[3.0.1] - 2019-11-18
- Renaming the concept of
Anchors. The Unity script updater should convert any references to
ARReferencePointsChangedEventArgsthe next time the project is loaded into the Editor.
- Removed references to LWRP from the documentation.
[3.0.0-preview.6] - 2019-11-14
- Fixed an issue which could cause the background camera texture to stop functioning correctly on certain devices running OpenGLES3.
- Previously, when using LWRP or UniversalRP, the requested culling mode was ignored. This resulted in an incorrect culling mode when using the front facing camera with ARCore (e.g., during face detection). This has been fixed.
The following virtual methods on the
ARCameraBackgroundhave been removed:
CommandBufferand added the command buffer to the camera. If you had overriden this method previously, you can override the
legacyCameraEventsproperty to specify the camera events which use the CommandBuffer, and
ConfigureLegacyCommandBuffer(CommandBuffer)to configure the command buffer. There is no need to override
TeardownLegacyRenderPipelineBackgroundRenderinganymore because the
CameraEvents the buffer was added to so it can remove them later.
[3.0.0-preview.4] - 2019-10-22
- Querying the
focusModewill return the actual camera focus value rather than a cached value.
ARPlanewhich may return contextual information about planes. See PlaneClassification for the list of all possible classifications.
supportsClassificationproperty to XRPlaneSubsystemDescriptor.
- Add getter for the current AR frame rate to the
ARFace.supportedFaceCountwould throw if face tracking was not supported. Now it returns 0.
- Fixed an issue with the
ARSessionOriginwhich could produce incorrect behavior with non-identity transforms.
ARPlane.centerwas computed incorrectly (though the result was close to the correct answer). This has been fixed.
[3.0.0-preview.3] - 2019-09-26
- If "match frame rate" is enabled, the
ARSessionnow checks for changes to the recommended frame rate each frame.
- Some properties on
NativeArrays to nullable
NativeSlices. See the migration guide for more details.
ARFaceManager.supportedproperty has been removed. If face tracking is not supported, the manager's subsystem will be null. This was done for consistency as no other manager has this property. If a manager's subsystem is null after enabling the manager, that generally means the subsystem is not supported.
- Fixed a typo in Face Tracking documentation which incorrectly referred to planes instead of faces. Also updated the screenshot of the ARFaceManager to reflect the "Maximum Face Count" field.
[3.0.0-preview.2] - 2019-09-05
- Fix issue where having the camera clearFlags property set to Skybox would break background rendering.
- Fix issue where screen would flash green before the first camera frame was received.
- Converted dependency on Legacy Input Helpers package to optional dependency. ARFoundation will continue to support the use of TrackedPoseDriver and the
UnityEngine.SpatialTrackingnamespace but there is no longer a dependency on that package. ARFoundation can instead use the
ARTrackedPoseDriverself-contained component to surface the device's pose.
[3.0.0-preview.1] - 2019-08-21
- Added support for eye tracking.
- Added support for XRParticipantSubsystem, which can track other users in a multi-user collaborative session.
- Added support for exposure duration
- Added support for exposure offset
- Add support for Lightweight Render Pipeline and Universal Render Pipeline.
- Add support for height scale estimatation for the 3D human body subsystem.
- Update the Legacy Input Helpers package to 1.3.7. This has no impact on existing functionality in ARFoundation, but should help with compatibility when using other packages.
- Previously, the
ARTrackedObjectManagerwould throw an exception if enabled without a valid reference library. These managers no longer throw; now, they disable themselves. This makes it possible to add one of these managers at runtime, since Unity will automatically invoke
OnEnablebefore you have a chance to set a valid reference library. If you create one of these managers at runtime, you will need to set a valid reference library and then re-enable it.
- Fixed the issue where native providers were not being reinstantiated after being destroyed when loading/reloading a new scene.
[2.2.0-preview.3] - 2019-07-16
- Added support for XR Management.
- Add support for
- Add an option to synchronize the Unity frame with the AR session's update. See
- Add an
ARMeshManagerto interface with the
XRMeshSubsystem. This is useful for XR Plugins that can generate meshes at runtime.
- Previously, a trackable manager's changed event (e.g.,
ARPlaneSubsystem.planesChanged) was invoked every frame even if nothing had changed. Now, it is only invoked on frames when a change has occurred.
[2.2.0-preview.2] - 2019-06-05
- Adding support for ARKit 3 functionality: Human pose estimation, human segmentation images, session collaboration, multiple face tracking, and tracking a face (with front camera) while in world tracking (with rear camera).
[2.1.0-preview.4] - 2019-06-03
- Added a convenience method
ARTrackableManager.SetTrackablesActive(bool)which will call
SetActiveon each trackable's
GameObject. This is useful, for example, to disable all
ARPlanes after disabling the
- Fix NativeArray handling when
ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKSis set. This fixes an issue when running ARFoundation in the Editor. This is not set in the Player, so it is not an issue when running on device.
[2.1.0-preview.3] - 2019-05-22
- Fix documentation links.
[2.1.0-preview.2] - 2019-05-07
- Add support for image tracking (
- Add support for environment probes (
- Add support for face tracking (
- Add support for object tracking (
[2.0.1] - 2019-03-05
- See the Migration Guide.
[1.1.0-preview.1] - 2019-01-16
- Add dependency on Legacy Input Helpers, which were moved from Unity to a package in 2019.1.
[1.0.0-preview.22] - 2018-12-13
- Fix package dependency
[1.0.0-preview.21] - 2018-12-13
- Added Face Tracking support:
ARFaceMeshVisualizerand related scripts. See documentation for usage.
- Plane detection modes: Add ability to selectively enable detection for horizontal, vertical, or both types of planes. The
ARPlaneManagerincludes a new setting, which defaults to both.
- Add support for setting the camera focus mode. Added a new component,
ARCameraOptions, which lets you set the focus mode.
- The light estimation option, which was previously on the
ARSessioncomponent, has been moved to the new
[1.0.0-preview.20] - 2018-11-06
- Support reference points reported without a corresponding
TryAddReferencePointcall. This handles reference points that are added by some other means, e.g., loaded from a serialized session.
[1.0.0-preview.19] - 2018-10-10
- Added support for
XRCameraExtensionsAPI to get the raw camera image data on the CPU. See the manual documentation for more information.
[1.0.0-preview.18] - 2018-09-13
ARPlaneMeshVisualizerdid not disable its visible components (
LineRenderer) when disabled. This has been fixed.
ARReferencePointManagerall instantiate either prefabs that you specify or
GameObjects with at least an
ARReferencePoint, respectively, on them. The instantiated
GameObject's layer was set to match the
ARSessionOrigin, overwriting the layer specified in the prefab. This has been changed so that if a prefab is specified, no changes to the layer are made. If no prefab is specified, then a new
GameObjectis created, and its layer will match that of the
ARPlane.normalto get the
ARPlane's normal in world space.
Added LWRP support by allowing
ARCameraBackground to use a background renderer that overrides the default functionality. This works in conjunction with some LWRPSupport files (see arfoundation-samples) that will live in your LWRP project.
[1.0.0-preview.17] - 2018-08-02
FormerlySerializedAsattribute to serialized field changes to
[1.0.0-preview.16] - 2018-07-26
- Removed static constructor from
ARSubsystemManager. This allows access to the manager without forcing the creation of the subsystems, making the initialization more flexible.
[1.0.0-preview.15] - 2018-07-26
ARPlane.vertexChangedThresholdis no longer allowed to be negative.
ARCameraBackgroundcomponent did not reset the projection matrix on disable, leading to stretching or other distortion. This has been fixed.
ARCameraBackgroundcomponent did not properly handle an overriden material. This has been fixed (see API Changes below).
ARPlaneMeshGeneratorswas meant to generate a triangle fan about the center of the plane. However, indices were instead generated as a fan about one of the bounary points. The visual result is similar, but can lead to long thin triangles. This has been fixed to use the plane's center point as intended.
- Update for compatibility with 2018.3
- If the
LineRendereron it, then it will be scaled to match the
ARPlane's scale, making the visual width invariant under differing
- When the
ARPointCloudManagerinstantiated a point cloud prefab, it did not change its transform. If it was not identity, then feature points would appear in unexpected places. It now instantiates the point cloud prefab with identity transform.
- The menu item "GameObject > XR > AR Default Point Cloud" created a
GameObjectwhich used a particle system whose "Scaling Mode" was set to "Local". If used as the
ARPointCloudManager's point cloud prefab, this would produce odd results when the
ARSessionOriginwas scaled. The correct setting is "Hierarchy", and the utility now creates a particle system with the correct setting.
The API for overriding the material has been refactored. Previously, a custom material could be set with the
ARCameraBackground.material setter, but this might be overwritten later if the option to override was disabled.
- New member:
- The following properties are now private:
materialsetter (getter is still public)
ARCameraBackground.material getter to get the currently active material.
[1.0.0-preview.14] - 2018-07-17
- Fixed a bug in the
ARCameraBackgroundwhich would not render the camera texture properly if the
ARSessionhad been destroyed and then recreated or if the
ARCameraBackgroundhad been disabled and then re-enabled.
ARSubsystemManager.systemState's setter was not private, allowing user code to change the system state. The setter is now private.
ARPlane.trackingStatereturned a cached value, which was incorrect if the
ARSessionwas no longer active.
ARSession.Reset()to destroy the current AR Session and establish a new one. This destroys all trackables, such as planes.
- Added an
ARReferencePointManagersubscribe to this event, and they remove their trackables when the
[1.0.0-preview.13] - 2018-07-03
- Fixed a bug where point clouds did not stop rendering when disabled.
- Added a getter on the
ARPointCloudManagerfor the instantiated
- Added UVs to the
Meshgenerated by the
- Refactored out plane mesh generation functionality into a new static class
- Added a
meshUpdatedevent to the
ARPlaneMeshVisualizer, which lets you customize the generated
- Added AR Icons.
[1.0.0-preview.12] - 2018-06-14
- Add color correction value to
[1.0.0-preview.11] - 2018-06-08
- Improve lifecycle reporting: remove public members
ARSubsystemManager.trackingState. Combine with
ARSubsystemManager.systemStateand the public event
- Docs improvements
ParticleSystemto the top of the
[1.0.0-preview.10] - 2018-06-06
- Update documentation: ARSession image and written description.
[1.0.0-preview.9] - 2018-06-06
[1.0.0-preview.8] - 2018-05-23
- Change dependency to
[1.0.0-preview.7] - 2018-05-23
- Remove "timeout" from AR Session
- Add availability and AR install support
- Significant rework to startup lifecycle & asynchronous availability check
[1.0.0-preview.6] - 2018-04-25
Rename ARUtilities to ARFoundation
- This package is now called
ARPointCloudParticleVisualizeras these were deemed sample content.
- Removed setup wizard.
ARSessionOriginno longer requires its
Camerato be a child of itself.