[1.1.0] - 2022-06-14
DataStreamReadercan now be passed to another job without triggering the job safety system.
GetRelayConnectionStatusmethod has been added to
NetworkDriverto query the status of the connection to the Relay server.
NetworkSettings.WithDataStreamParametersis now obsolete. The functionality still works and will remain supported for version 1.X of the package, but will be removed in version 2.0. The reason for the removal is that in 2.0 the data stream size is always dynamically-sized to avoid out-of-memory errors.
NetworkSettings.WithPipelineParametersis now obsolete. The functionality still works and will remain supported for version 1.X of the package, but will be removed in version 2.0, where pipeline buffer sizing is handled internally.
- Updated Burst dependency to 1.6.6.
- Updated Collections dependency to 1.2.4.
- Updated Mathematics dependency to 1.2.6.
BeginSendwould not return an error if called on a closed connection before the next
- Fixed a warning if using the default maximum payload size with DTLS.
- Removed an error log when receiving messages on a closed DTLS connection (this scenario is common if there were in-flight messages at the moment of disconnection).
- Fix broken link in package documentation.
[1.0.0] - 2022-03-28
- Changed version to 1.0.0.
[1.0.0-pre.16] - 2022-03-24
- Don't warn when overwriting settings in
NetworkSettings(e.g. when calling the same
- Added new methods to set security parameters:
NetworkSettings.WithSecureServerParameters. These replace the existing
WithSecureParameters, which is now obsolete.
- Updated Collections dependency to 1.2.3.
- Fixed client certificate not being passed to UnityTLS on secure connections. This prevented client authentication from properly working.
- Fixed: Reliable pipeline drop statistics inaccurate.
[1.0.0-pre.15] - 2022-03-11
- An error is now logged if failing to decrypt a DTLS message when using Relay.
- Decreased default Relay keep-alive period to 3 seconds (was 9 seconds). The value can still be configured through the
- Updated Relay sample to the most recent Relay SDK APIs (would fail to compile with latest packages).
[1.0.0-pre.14] - 2022-03-01
IValidatableNetworkParameter.Validate()method is now part of
- Fixed compilation on WebGL. Note that the platform is still unsupported, but at least including the package in a WebGL project will not create compilation errors anymore. Creating a
NetworkDriverin WebGL projects will now produce a warning.
[1.0.0-pre.13] - 2022-02-14
- When using the Relay protocol, error messages sent by the Relay server are now properly captured and logged.
- Fixed: Issue where an overflow of the
ReliableSequencedPipelineStagesequence numbers would not be handled properly.
[1.0.0-pre.12] - 2022-01-24
- Clean up changelog for package promotion.
[1.0.0-pre.11] - 2022-01-24
- Updated to Burst 1.6.4.
- Updated to Mathematics 1.2.5.
- Documentation has been moved to the offical multiplayer documentation site.
- Fixed a division by zero in
- Don't warn when receiving repeated connection accept messages (case 1370591).
- Fixed an exception when receiving a data message from an unknown connection.
[1.0.0-pre.10] - 2021-12-02
- On fragmented and reliable pipelines, sending a large packet when the reliable window was almost full could result in the packet being lost.
- Fixed "pending sends" warning being emitted very often when sending to remote hosts.
- Revert decrease of MTU to 1384 on Xbox platforms (now back at 1400). It would cause issues for cross-platform communications.
[1.0.0-pre.9] - 2021-11-26
- Disabled Roslyn Analyzers provisionally
- Fixed: Compiler error due to Roslyn Analyzers causing a wrong compiler argument
[1.0.0-pre.8] - 2021-11-18
- Creating a pipeline with
ReliableSequencedPipelineStageis now forbidden (will throw an exception if collections checks are enabled). That order never worked properly to begin with. The reverse order is fully supported and is the recommended way to configure a reliable pipeline with support for large packets.
NetworkSettingsstruct and API for defining network parameters. See NetworkSettings documentation for more information.
- Added Roslyn Analyzers for ensuring proper extension of NetworkParameters and NetworkSettings API.
- Update Collections package to 1.1.0
- Fixed: Error message when scheduling an update on an unbound
BeginSendwouldn't return an error if the required payload size was larger than the supported payload size when close to the MTU
- Fixed: Removed boxing in
NetworkDriverinitialization by passing
NetworkSettingsparameter instead of
- Fixed a crash on XboxOne(X/S) when using the fragmentation pipeline (case 1370473)
INetworkInterfaceinitialization methods now receive a
NetworkSettingsparameter instead of
[1.0.0-pre.7] - 2021-10-21
- Some public APIs that should have always been internal are now internal (
- Fixed: Couldn't send a payload of the configured payload size on fragmented pipelines
[1.0.0-pre.6] - 2021-10-14
- Added heartbeats functionality to all protocols (enabled by default). If there's no traffic on a connection for some time, a heartbeat is automatically sent to keep the connection alive. The inactivity timeout is controlled by the new parameter
NetworkConfigParameter. Setting it to 0 disables the feature.
NetworkConfigParameterto support heartbeats (see above).
NetworkDriver.Bindis now synchronous when using Relay (matches behavior of other protocols).
NetworkDriver.Bindis not required to be called anymore for Relay clients (only for host).
EndSendwill now return an error if called with a writer that has failed writes.
- MTU decreased to 1384 (from 1400) on Xbox platforms.
Connectwill automatically bind the driver if not already bound. This was already done implicitly before, but now it's explicit (the
NetworkDriver.Boundproperty will be true after a successful call to
- Fixed: Receiving a Disconnect message on DTLS would crash the receive job
- Fixed: TLS server name might be set to nothing in Relay+DTLS, causing the handshake to fail
- Fixed: Couldn't send large messages on fragmented pipeline if
requiredPayloadSizewas not provided to
- Fixed: DTLS handshake messages were never resent if lost
- Fixed: Clients wouldn't honor the endpoint their were bound to
- Function pointers (for instance in
EndSend) generate GC allocations in non-Burst use cases. The issue will be fixed in the next releases
- XboxOne(S/X) crash when using fragmentation pipeline when the size of the packet is within 100 bytes of the MTU. This will be fixed in the next release
[1.0.0-pre.5] - 2021-09-16
- Fixed: Socket never created on unbound DTLS clients (causes handshake to fail)
- Fixed: When using DTLS it would not properly read data packets
- Fixed: When using DTLS it could possibly fail to send a packet that was at the MTU size.
[1.0.0-pre.4] - 2021-09-07
- Fixed: Updated collection types in
- Fixed: Fixed race condition between UTP and Relay disconnects
- Fixed: Relay not being able to use the fragmentation pipelinestage ### Upgrade guide
[1.0.0-pre.3] - 2021-09-01
- Removed references of TransportSamples from readme as they are not currently included in the package
- Stripping out un-needed files from the package
[1.0.0-pre.2] - 2021-08-23
- Upgraded collections to 1.0.0-pre.5
- Added support for Secure Protocol while using Unity Relay
[1.0.0-pre.1] - 2021-07-29
- Moving into pre-release
- Added Secure Protocol support (TLS/DTLS) to allow for encrypted and secure connections.
- Unity Transport package now supports connecting to the Unity Relay Service. See Unity Relay for more information.
- Upgraded burst to 1.5.5
[0.8.0] - 2021-03-23
- Added overloads of
PopEventForConnectionwhich return the pipeline used as an out parameter.
- Fixed some compatility issues with tiny.
- Fixed a crash when sending messages slightly less than one MTU using the fragmentation pipeline.
- Fixed a bug causing
NetworkDriver.RemoteEndPointto return an invalid value when using the default network interface.
[0.7.0] - 2021-02-05
DataStreamWriter.ReadRawBitsfor reading and writing raw bits from a data stream.
- Optimized the
NetworkCompressionModelto find buckets in constant time.
- Changed the error behavior of
DataStreamReaderto be consistent between the editor and players.
- Fixed a crash when receiving a packet with an invalid pipeline identifier.
[0.6.0] - 2020-11-26
- An error handling pass has been made and
Error.StatusCodehave been added to indicate more specific errors.
Error.DisconnectReasonhas been added, so when NetworkDriver.PopEvent returns a
NetworkEvent.Type.Disconnectthe reader returned contains 1 byte of data indicating the reason.
- The function signature for NetworkDriver.BeginSend has changed. It now returns an
intvalue indicating if the function succeeded or not and the DataStreamWriter now instead is returned as a
- The function signature for INetworkInterface.Initialize has changed. It now requires you to return an
intvalue indicating if the function succeeded or not.
- The function signature for INetworkInterface.CreateInterfaceEndPoint has changed. It now requires you to return an
intvalue indicating if the function succeeded or not, and NetworkInterfaceEndPoint is now returned as a
- Fixed a potential crash when receiving a malformated packet.
- Fixed an issue where the DataStream could sometimes fail writing packet uints before the buffer was full.
NetworkDriver.BeginSendnow returns an
Error.StatusCode, and the
DataStreamWriteris passed as an
[0.5.0] - 2020-10-01
- Fixed display of ipv6 addresses as strings
[0.4.1] - 2020-09-10
NetworkDriver.GetEventQueueSizeForConnectionwhich allows you to check how many pending events a connection has.
- Fixed a compatibility isue with DOTS Runtime.
[0.4.0-preview.3] - 2020-08-21
- Added a new fragmentation pipeline which allows you to send messages larger than one MTU. If the
FragmentationPipelineStageis part of the pipeline you are trying to send with the
NetworkDriverwill allow a
requiredPayloadSizelarger than one MTU to be specified and split the message into multiple packages.
- The methods to read and write strings in the
DataStreamWriterhave been changed to use
NativeString<N>. The name of the methods have also changed from
ReadFixedString64- and similar changes for write and the packed version of the calls. The calls support
- Minimum required Unity version has changed to 2020.1.2.
The data stream methods for reading and writing strings have changed, they now take
FixedString64 instead of
NativeString64 and the names have changed as follows:
The transport now requires Unity 2020.1.2.
[0.3.1-preview.4] - 2020-06-05
- Added a new
BeginSend. The required size cannot be larger than
- Added errorcode parameter to a
- Additional APIs added to
- Fixed an issue in the reliable pipeline which would cause it to not recover if one end did not receive packages for a while.
- Fixed invalid use of strings when specifying the size of socket buffers in the native bindings.
[0.3.0-preview.6] - 2020-02-24
- Pipelines are now registered by calling
NetworkPipelineStageCollection.RegisterPipelineStagebefore creating a
NetworkDriver. The built-in pipelines do not require explicit registration. The interface for implementing pipelines has been changed to support this.
- NetworkDriver is no longer a generic type. You pass it an interface when creating the
NetworkDriver, which means you can switch between backends without modifying all usage of the driver. There is a new
NetworkDriver.Createwhich creates a driver with the default
NetworkInterface. It is also possible to create a
new NetworkDriverby passing a
NetworkInterfaceinstance as the first argument.
NetworkDriver.Sendis replaced by
EndSend. This allows us to do less data copying when sending messages. The interface for implementing new network interfaces has been changed to support this.
DataStreamWriterno longer owns any memory. They are just reading/writing the data of a
DataStreamWriterhas explicit types for all Write methods.
DataStreamReader.Contexthas been removed.
- Error handling for
DataStreamWriterhas been improved, on failure it returns false and sets
DataStreamReaderreturns a default value and sets
DataStreamReaderwill throw an exception instead of returning a default value in the editor.
- IPCManager is no longer public, it is still possible to create a
NetworkDriver.ScheduleFlushSendwhich must be called to guarantee that messages are send before next call to
NetworkDriver.LastUpdateTimeto get the update time the
NetworkDriverused for the most recent update.
- Removed the IPC address family, use a IPv4 localhost address instead.
- Fixed a memory overflow in the reliability pipeline.
- Made the soaker report locale independent.
Creation and type of
NetworkDriver has changed, use
NetworkDriver.Create or pass an instance of a
NetworkInterface to the
NetworkDriver.Send has been replaced by a pair of
BeginSend will return a
DataStreamWriter to which you write the data. The
DataStreamWriter is then passed to
All write calls in
DataStreamWriter need an explicit type, for example
Write(0) should be replaced by
DataStreamWriter no longer shares current position between copies, if you call a method which writes you must pass it by ref for the modifications to apply.
DataStreamWriter no longer returns a DeferedWriter, you need to take a copy of the writer at the point you want to make modifications and use the copy to overwrite data later.
DataStreamWriter is no longer disposable. If you use the allocating constructor you need to use
Allocator.Temp, if you pass a
NativeArray<byte> to the constructor the
NativeArray owns the memory.
DataStreamReader.Context no longer exists, you need to pass the
DataStreamReader itself by ref if you read in a different function.
The interface for network pipelines has been changed.
The interface for network interfaces has been changed.
[0.2.3-preview.0] - 2019-12-12
- Added reading and write methods for NativeString64 to DataStream.
[0.2.2-preview.2] - 2019-12-05
- Added a stress test for parallel sending of data.
- Upgraded collections to 0.3.0.
- Fixed a race condition in IPCNetworkInterface.
- Changed NetworkEventQueue to use UnsafeList to get some type safety.
- Fixed an out-of-bounds access in the reliable sequenced pipeline.
- Fixed spelling and broken links in the documentation.
[0.2.1-preview.1] - 2019-11-28
- Added missing bindings for Linux and Android.
[0.2.0-preview.4] - 2019-11-26
- Added support for unquantized floats to
NetworkConfigParameter.maxFrameTimeMSso you to allow longer frame times when debugging to prevent disconnections due to timeout.
- Allow "188.8.131.52:1234" strings when parsing the IP string in the NetworkEndPoint class, it will use the port part when it's present.
- Reliable pipeline now doesn't require parameters passed in (uses default window size of 32)
- Added Read/Write of ulong to
- Made it possible to get connection state from the parallel NetworkDriver.
- Do not push data events to disconnected connections. Fixes an error about resetting the queue with pending messages.
- Made the endian checks in
DataStreamcompatible with latest version of burst.
[0.1.2-preview.1] - 2019-07-17
- Added a new Ping-Multiplay sample based on the Ping sample.
- Created to be the main sample for demonstrating Multiplay compatibility and best practices (SQP usage, IP binding, etc.).
- Contains both client and server code. Additional details in readme in
- DedicatedServerConfig: Added arguments for
- NetworkEndPoint: Added a
TryParse()method which returns false if parsing fails
- Note: The
Parse()method returns a default IP / Endpoint if parsing fails, but a method that could report failure was needed for the Multiplay sample.
- Note: The
- Added a
HasArgument()method which returns true if an argument is present.
- Added a
PrintArgsToLog()method which is a simple way to print launch args to logs.
- Added a
TryUpdateVariableWithArgValue()method which updates a ref var only if an arg was found and successfully parsed.
- Added a
- Deleted existing SQP code and added reference to SQP Package (now in staging).
- Removed SQP server usage from basic Ping sample.
- Note: The SQP server was only needed for Multiplay compatibility, so the addition of Ping-Multiplay allowed us to remove SQP from Ping.
- DedicatedServerConfig: Vsync is now disabled programmatically if requesting an FPS different from the current screen refresh rate.
[0.1.1-preview.1] - 2019-06-05
- Moved MatchMaking to a package and supporting code to a separate folder.
- Fixed an issue with the reliable pipeline not resending when completely idle.
[0.1.0-preview.1] - 2019-04-16
- Added network pipelines to enable processing of outgoing and incomming packets. The available pipeline stages are
ReliableSequencedPipelineStagefor reliable UDP messages and
SimulatorPipelineStagefor emulating network conditions such as high latency and packet loss. See the pipeline documentation for more information.
- Added reading and writing of packed signed and unsigned integers to
DataStream. These new methods use huffman encoding to reduce the size of transfered data for small numbers.
- Enable Burst compilation for most jobs.
- Made it possible to get the remote endpoint for a connection.
- Replacing EndPoint parsing with custom code to avoid having a dependency on
- Change the ping sample command-line parameters for server to
- For matchmaking, use an Assignment object containing the
Roster, and an
AssignmentErrorstring instead of just the
- Fixed an issue with building iOS on Windows.
- Fixed inconsistent error handling between platforms when the network buffer is full.
Unity 2019.1 is now required.
BasicNetworkDriver has been renamed to
GenericNetworkDriver and a new
UdpNetworkDriver helper class is also available.
System.Net EndPoints can no longer be used as addresses, use the new NetworkEndpoint struct instead.