Placements are triggered events within your game that display monetization content. In this guide, you’ll learn how to configure, implement, and personalize Placements.
Manage Placements from the developer dashboard:
- From the Operate tab of the developer dashboard, select your Project.
- Select Monetization from the left navigation bar to view a list of your Project's monetization options.
- Select Placements to manage and create ad Placements.
Creating new Placements
To create a new Placement, click ADD PLACEMENT to open the Add new placement configuration window.
The Placement name you specify auto-generates a Placement ID, which you call in your code implementation. Note that you can change Placement name later, but once you create the Placement, you cannot change the corresponding ID.
When creating a new Placement, you must define its type:
- Select Non-rewarded to show basic interstitial ads or promotional content. Non-rewarded Placements allow players to skip the ad after a specified period of time.
- Select Rewarded to allow players to opt-in to viewing ads or promotions in exchange for incentives. Rewarded Placements do not allow the player to skip the ad.
- Select Banner to create a dedicated Banner ad Placement.
Note: The Personalized Placement type is deprecated. For more information, see the FAQ.
Each Unity Ads-enabled Project includes two default Placements for your convenience:
video’ is a non-rewarded Placement that serves Video ad and Playable ad formats, and allows users to skip the ad after 5 seconds.
rewardedVideo’ is a rewarded Placement that serves Video ad and Playable ad formats, but does not allow skipping.
Our best practices guide provides examples of effective implementation of ad placements.
Click CREATE NEW PLACEMENT to configure the Placement’s settings.
You can edit Placement settings at any time by selecting the desired Placement from the Placements menu on the dashboard. Use the Platform dropdown in the top-right corner to specify the following Placement settings for each individual platform.
These settings apply to the content you surface in your Placements.
|Content Types||Choose Ads, IAP Promo, or both.
With Ads enabled, you may select the following formats to display:
With IAP Promo enabled, you can link Promos to the Placement
Note: IAP Promo is a deprecated feature that will not be supported in the future.
|Allow Skip||Click the Edit icon to specify the number of seconds after which users can skip ads in this Placement.
Tip: To run rewarded ads in your Placement, set this option to No so that the video is not skippable.
These settings apply to the behavior of the Placement itself.
|Placement ID||A unique identifier to reference in your code implementation. Once you create the Placement, you cannot change its corresponding ID.|
|Status||By default, a new Placement's status is Enabled. Click the edit icon, then uncheck Enable Placement and click SAVE to change its status to Disabled. Disabled Placements will not show monetization content.|
|Placement name||Click the edit icon to change the Placement name. Changing this setting does not impact the Placement ID.
Note: The Developer Dashboard does not currently support self-serve AR ads or Cross-Promotion ads in Placements.
|Muting||By default, ads for a new Placement are not muted. If you want ads in this Placement to default to muted audio, click the Edit icon, then check Mute audio.|
Implementing Placements in-game
Implementing Placements in your game is a 3-step process:
- Initialize the Unity Ads SDK early in the game’s run-time lifecycle, preferably at launch. Unity recommends using the latest SDK (3.0+).
- In your code, check if Placement content is ready to display through your specified Placement.
- Retrieve the available content and display it.
For comprehensive code integration instructions, read the documentation for your development platform: